[Land-speed] Maxton

jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Sun Apr 6 20:04:20 MDT 2008

Nancy and I rolled out of there about 2PM - they were still running.  Didn't
start runs 'til about 10.30 AM or so after trying to
dry out a wet track.  The winds Friday, when we were setting up, were nice
tailwinds all day long.  Saturday it rained, and
sure enough, 10-15mph headwinds all today during the runs.  Let's see what I
can remember:

Unh, Charlie what's-his-name, who went fast last week at Texas -- went 243.243
today on a turbo 'Busa for fast run of the
three hours that Nancy and I were there.  Said he had to pedal it in high
gear, what with the headwinds - and I looked at his
drive tire after the run -- nice little cuts all the way 'round freom spinning
on the pavement.  Plenty o' power there!  Unh,
Rob Kinnan from Hot Rod went 147 (I think it was) in that slick Force Five car
he was piloting, a Mistubishi Evo 2 turned a
super-quick 189.   The lime green Ford Lightning pickup of Bob Ida (?) hurt a
head gasket about half-track -- had the crowd
yelling at him as he motored the rest of the way down the course "Use your
mirrors!" -- to see how much smoke he was
trailing.  Not much of an oildown,though -- only about a ten-minute hold to
make sure the track was okay.  I don't have run
sheets -- just a funky memory -- CRS now that I've turned 60.  Wonder what'll
happen when I'm really old. . .

Fogy spent about two hours going over a Mazda car (w/Nissan motor, I think it
was) -- so ECTA got him to do some good
work.  I think the ECTA folks were pleased to have the left coast guys there.
I've got a photo of Fogy and Warner at the
banquet last night - once I get home I'll try to photo shop it and put a milk
bottle on the table between them (instead of the
Chivas Regal that they really had).  The banquet was beyond Standing Room Only
-- a bunch of folks had to eat out in the
looby of the hotel where the banquet got moved to after the original plan (at
the grove of trees by the Pine Acres Motel) got
sort of submerged.  A good time was had by damn near all, though.

That's enough for now.  We'll be home by late afternoon Tuesday.

Nancy and Jon

On Sun Apr  6 15:13 , "Glen Barrett"  sent: