[Land-speed] NON-LSR Maxton/Laurinburg 1944

Doug Anderson boogiewoogie12 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 29 12:01:40 MDT 2007

   of course, the whole point...

       ...  was to get the jeep & Artillery 'TO'  the scene of the combat...

    those fellas had iron guts.  I SALUTE them

  cheers, "Dirt Track Doug"  in exile in So. New York,

 -who's dad went thru WWII in a Sherman of the 741st Tank Battallion,  D-Day
to VE Day

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooo

> From: BWANA343 at aol.com
> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:56:24 -0400
> To: john.szalay at att.net; land-speed at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Land-speed] NON-LSR  Maxton/Laurinburg 1944
>
> In a message dated 9/29/2007 11:17:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> john.szalay at att.net writes:
>
> I just  could not believe that anyone would ride a glider
> into an invasion with a  Jeep and artillery aboard into combat.. unreal.
>
> During the war,  paratroops got jump pay, the glider troops got  nothing.
>

> Everything I ever saw/read about these plywood beasts was horrible. Lousy
> handling, nasty landing stats, more injuries than actual combat. Your Sgt
was
> indeed a rarity! I wonder if Life/disability insurance was available back
then?
> That's one perfectly good airplane I'd have no problem jumping out of  !

 Bob, no death from splinters needed, W