[Land-speed] NON-LSR Maxton/Laurinburg 1944

BWANA343 at aol.com BWANA343 at aol.com
Sat Sep 29 09:56:24 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/29/2007 11:17:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
john.szalay at att.net writes:

I just  could not believe that anyone would ride a glider
into an invasion with a  Jeep and artillery aboard into combat.. unreal.

During the war,  paratroops got jump pay, the glider troops got  nothing.

Everything I ever saw/read about these plywood beasts was horrible. Lousy
handling, nasty landing stats, more injuries than actual combat. Your Sgt was
indeed a rarity! I wonder if Life/disability insurance was available back  then?
That's one perfectly good airplane I'd have no problem jumping out of  !
Bob, no death from splinters needed,W