[Land-speed] larger-than-tiny holes

Benn karhu at california.com
Tue Sep 25 11:40:50 MDT 2007

Hey all, for larger holes, my sense was that you want to make a pilot hole at
least as large as the length of the line-junction of the two cutting lips.
(And if I was more knowledgeable, I'd know the right terms for these parts of
the bit).  So, a 1/8" pilot hole should suffice for a 1/2" final drill,
right?
Benn
  Subject: Re: [Land-speed] tiny holes

  Good idea Rich, I use center drills for 99% of the holes I drill. I also
  step drill to the larger sizes and in some cases ream for a good fit. Us old
  aircraft people were taught the proper way.
  Glen