[Land-speed] ( Dear Jack ) & LOOK MA: NO Valve Springs !!!!!

Dale Krumheuer dmirror3 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 17:52:49 MDT 2007

Ducati has long been building and racing a series of "Desmo" valve bikes. As Rich stated, not all Ducati are Desmo yet all of the modern Ducati are so equipped. Also, all modern Ducati are two cylinders.
I haven't seen a modern Ducati competing in much other than road racing where they have a considerable history of success. Besides the valve system, the trellis frame also makes the Ducati unique. Though not the first to use a trellis frame, they were one of the earliest to build a production trellis framed bike.
Would love to try a modern water-cooled 4 valve per cylinder Ducati but I would be surprised if it could be a record beater. Though I prefer two cyclinder bikes and my everyday bike is a 97 Ducati Super sport, my opinion is that a twin isn't capable of beating the 4 cylinder Japanese bikes at LSR.

For Ducati racing heritage;
from http://www.ducatiDOTcom/heritage/anni50/storia.jhtml

"During 1958, Ducati also produced the  200 cc Elite. 1958 also marked the triumph of the desmodromic system, which engineer Taglioni had been developing since 1955. This project resulted in the famous twin-cylinder 250 cc of 1960, ordered from Ducati by the world famous English racer Mike Hailwood, who specifically requested a machine of superior performance."

Dale Krumheuer
Cleveland Oh

DougOdom <dlodom at charter.net> wrote: I believe the 300 SLR used desmodromic. It was a straight eight motor
with the power take off in the middle, like 2 4's back to back. I don't
think the 300 SL ever used that motor. Those were the cars in the mid
50's that Sterling Moss and Juan  Fangio drove. This is from memory so if
I'm wrong someone jump in and straighten me out.     Doug Odom in big ditch

Rich Fox wrote:

>I believe the 300SL race cars as well as street driven cars were
>desmodromic. As well as lots of Ducuti motorcycles.   RF

      I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the
  Intolerant, and kindness from the Unkind; yet strangely, I am
  ungrateful to these teachers."
  -Kahlil Gibran

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!