[Land-speed] Aero Surfaces...

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 14:05:51 MDT 2007

The rule book allows this in modified roadsters subject to adherance to body
shape requirements.  Probably similar in other classes I'm less familiar
with like competition coupes.  You'll see variations on this theme in
several of the modified roadsters that are currently active.  Seems to help
there. IMHO better approach than a drag adding wing to get down force.  I'm
not so sure it would help in special construction classes where any rear
body contour is allowed.
With respect to spin control there may be some merit to the driver being
able to actively add downforce with a controlled change in aerodynamics like
when he/she feels the car getting a little loose at speed.  I think most of
us seem to agree, however, that once a spin starts events happen too fast
for a driver intervene in any useful way.
This is a tricky area to get into and would have to be watched pretty
closely until we all learned more about it.  Interesting to explore for
those whose resources are deep enough to include access to wind tunnel
testing.
Ed Weldon