[Land-speed] Aero Surfaces...

joseph lance jolylance at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 3 13:32:54 MDT 2007

Instead of wings and flaps why not shape the belly pan or underside of the
car to form a venturi and add downforce that way ?

It's already done to a degree with IRL, CART, F1 cars and setting correct
ride-height is necessary to properly "tune" the venturi.

The venturi down force could be made adjustable by bleeding some airflow
upwards out of the venturi section as desired--might be easier to implement
than building controlled wings or other aerodynamic surfaces. It may be that
the additional drag from the venturi would be less than that due to wings
for an equivalent amount of down force ( probably already known in secret F1
inner sanctums). Maybe some list member could talk to Panoz or Dallara
people about the venturi effect and it's application to LSR.

An alternate is the separate "sucker" fans as in the old Can-Am cars, but
that requires a lot of complicated additional equipment and that much down
force necessary for high g cornering isn't needed for straight-line salt
running, so it might not be attractive cost/benefit wise either.

A fixed rudder can improve straight line stability but a moveable rudder to
recover from a spin condition is another story. Would the frantic driver
have to control both rudder and steering separately ? Link steering and
rudder control together ? How and to what degree ? Use only the rudder for
"at speed" steering ? Could work but very hairy to implement with lots of
development and different driving skills required.

Lance