[Land-speed] Turbos...

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 00:53:53 MST 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 6:46 PM, drmayf wrote:

> stroke 351.  But I am also looking at a cheaper alternative: A single
> "T66" Chinese copy of something.  My question to the group is, Have
> any
> of you any experience with the Chinese stuff?  Especially the turbos.

  They're Junk! The housings crack, the bearings are cheap, I suggest
Greddy or Mitsubishi. If you're going on the cheap, you would be best
getting a Holset turbo off a Ford or Dodge Turbo Diesel. I don't
remember your displacement, but that is a key factor in turbo selection.

A single turbo will, 99% of the time, work better than a twin setup.
Look for compressor maps, and verify you have one with the proper
volume/pressure, because a small turbo is like a hair dryer, just
filling your motor with a lot of hot air, and the heating directly
counteracts the boost.

> Ebay is full of  them. I can get this T66 for under 300 bucks. No
> it is
> not Majestic  Turbo or Turbonetics,  but what the hey... maybe it
> can be
> good, eh? So if any of you turbo freaks have any 'sperience, please
> let
> me know soon?  If I am to do this I need the time to make it happen...

Don't buy a cheap turbo, you will be sorry.

> Oh, I did  purchase one of those intercoolers being sold oin ebay.
> It is
> the one that is about 12 x 12 x 4.5 inches general dimensions. Nice
> quality. Will it work? Maybe as good as a turbo!

A good intercooler can be had cheap on ebay. I had a friend pick up a
12"x24"x3" with 3" inlets and he reliably put 415 front wheel
horsepower at 18psi in his 2.0 4g63t (mitsu eclipse).

The thing you have to make sure is you get the right kind. Tube and
Fin intercoolers suck. Most of the ones on ebay will be bar and plate
models anyway, but this is what you want. The tempurature
differential across Manny's (the eclipse) was 200+ in the inlet and
~60 on the outlet (in F) and the pressure drop is hardly measurable.
A VERY efficient aluminum intercooler should cost you less than most
intercooler piping "kits" they sell for ricers (kits that don't fit
right!)