[Land-speed] WARNING(virus check bypassed): Re: Another chrome-moly rant??

John Burk joyseydevil at comcast.net
Fri Oct 5 21:36:49 MDT 2007

> Chrome-moly for chassis construction scares the BG's out of me.  Way too
> many variables for any kind of cutting edge racing application unless
> you've
> got some pretty experienced engineering heads watching over both the
> design/build as well as the operation/maintenance.

>From my experience building and front halfing dragsters 4130 tubing has no
faults as long as it's gas or tig welded . I've heated and straightened race
damaged tubing ahead of the engine on mine and others with no problems . I
believe 4130 tube is normally in an annealed state so welding doesn't soften
it . The only problem would be doing something that hardened it like
quenching it while it's hot . The manganese , chromium and molybdenum are
less that 2 1/2% so it's weight is
virtually the same as mild steel . The only benefit is allowing smaller or
thinner tube . My streamliner chassis is all mild steel .