[Land-speed] Plating

Askotto at aol.com Askotto at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 20:17:08 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/20/2007 6:01:35 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
lsr_man at yahoo.com writes:

Has  anybody on this list had any first-hand experience with chrome and
nickel  plating?

DickJ
In East  Texas

I"ve had "second hand experience", Dick.

What I know about it is it's all in the preparation, just like paint work.  A
good plater will sand and polish the metal, give it a quick acid dip followed
 by a good water rinse/neutralizer. They first plate it with copper, sand and
 polish it again, Nickel plate it, sand and polish that and finally chrome
plate  it. The chrome only gets polishing.

When something is chromed it makes it brittle. If the part is a critical
member, get it heat treated after chroming.

Also, with the EPA regs these days, finding a plater in the US that does
small jobs is getting harder. I know there's a plater in Juarez who does
excellent work, cheap. All the shops in Albuq use him since our plater got  busted
for housing illegals and Cocane poss. I'll find out the name/number if  you want
to try the Juarez guy.

Otto