[Land-speed] Not a quick question...

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 22:56:45 MDT 2007

Golden Ages--

Griff Borgeson would probably say the decade of the 1920's.  If you are
talking about a world we can only read about; but never can touch you'd
likely agree with Griff (even though he was pretty biased toward the work of
Miller, Goosen and Offenhauser.)

Ed Weldon would say the period 1949 to 1959 which saw a flood of automotive
technical achievements make it into the mass marketplace and at the same
time popular new forms of automobile racing grew within the reach of the
average joe both as a spectator and a participant.  This was the time when
America fell in love with the automobile and when land speed racing grew out
of Southern California. (I can be biased too!!)

One could say that we are in the middle of the golden age of the automotive
technology and art today.  Certainly we're seeing a lot of seriously good
engineering in the automotive world.  But I have some trouble viewing any of
this as having much in the way of "gold" coloration inasmuch as most of what
is being developed is either inspired by polititians and government
bureaucrats or will have  a price tag that will chew up a year's wages.
Gone are the days when a month's  worth of paychecks would get you out on
the track with something that wouldn't be laughed at. (a few of our LSR
record holders past and present notwithstanding)

Ed Weldon