[Land-speed] Petrol breakdown, not LSR

joseph lance jolylance at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 17 21:44:18 MDT 2007

Of the total input energy (coal, nuclear, natural gas, hydro, and others)
used by power plants to generate electricity, oil is only a tiny percentage.

I used to do a lot of work with those numbers.

You can find those numbers by starting with the Department of Energy's web
site but you have to work your way through a lot of stuff to find it--the
numbers are updated annually.

>From memory, approximately: nuke ~ 20%, coal ~ 50%, natural gas is next
biggie, hydro ~ 5%, solar & wind ~ 1%  This is electrical generation only.

Natural gas could be a looming supply and price problem, we are importing
increasing amounts of the stuff because of environmental restrictions on
tapping our own off shore. Us people in the north who use it for home
heating have seen major price increases in the last few years--could get
chilly for us.

Lance