[Land-speed] Alternative Fuels>From>Jim McNaul

Jon Wennerberg jon at infodestruction.com
Mon Jul 16 10:05:50 MDT 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Bryan Savage wrote:

I thought the radioactive stuff in coal was Carbon 14.....??

Bryan

Well, you made me wonder -- so I looked it up.  I found this in a
USGS factsheet:

"Coal is largely composed of organic matter, but it is the inorganic
matter in coalminerals and trace elements that have been cited as
possible causes of health, environmental, and technological problems
associated with the use of coal. Some trace elements in coal are
naturally radioactive. These radioactive elements include uranium
(U), thorium (Th), and their numerous decay products, including
radium (Ra) and radon (Rn)."

So there you have it -- there IS uranium in the coal.  I didn't see
any mention of C14, though. . .  If you want to read more, either
Google it yourself -- or follow this link:

http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/energy/factshts/163-97/FS-163-97.html

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)

PS  I think I'm going to the environmental stuff website for a while
this afternoon -- to see if they've got any land speed racing chit
chat going on.