[Land-speed] Hydrogen Vehicles And Safety>From>Jim McNaul

Rich Fox v4gr at rcn.com
Sat Jul 14 17:05:36 MDT 2007

When I went to work for UAL I had to do heat treat sometimes. The oven ran
between 1400 and 2000 degrees most of the time. When I wanted to put
something in the oven I would put on the silver suit, get the big shovel,
and open it up. The oven had a Hydrogen atmosphere. There was a pipe with
natural gas forward of the door and a pilot light. This would make a flame
curtain to keep oxygen out of the oven and away from the very hot hydrogen.
Sometimes the fire curtain would fail to start. Then the oven would blow up.
It was noisy, and some times threw a few bricks around. But the operator was
standing there right in front of it when that happened and I never heard of
anyone being hurt. What does this tell us about Fords at the salt? I don't
know.   RF