[Land-speed] OT: Green House Gases.. and an Electrolysis Questionor 2..

joseph lance jolylance at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 23:06:18 MDT 2007

Neil;

Good description of radiation wave lengths and the closed car or glass
greenhouse effect--they heat up inside mainly because there is no convective
heat transfer between the air in the enclosure and the air outside.

But the global warming "greenhouse" effect is a little different--there the
IR is absorbed by the CO2 molecules and the resulting excitation and
molecular collisions heat up the atmosphere. Still caused by IR but with a
different mechanism.  Maybe we could arrange a convective heat transfer
exchange with an outside planet...............(LOL).

Been talking with Mayf about electrolytic H2---did some Coulomb/Joule/Mole
calculations to prove (to myself) that making the stuff requires slightly
more electrical power than the resulting H2 is worth heating value wise. Not
a new or previously unknown result, but fun doing--nice thing about this
site is that it encourages me to limber up old skills and maybe ward off
Alzheimer's!!

Lance