[Land-speed] OT: Green House Gases.. and an Electrolysis Questionor 2..

neil at dbelltech.com neil at dbelltech.com
Mon Jul 9 17:19:44 MDT 2007

Mayf;

I just got back from being out of town for a few days so maybe someone else
has already answered this better than I can.

The deal on CO2 heat gain is the same as leaving your car windows up in the
sun-- the light from the sun has a large proportion of its energy at short
wavelengths and that passes through the glass easily where it is absorbed by
the car's interior. This heats up the dash, seats, etc to maybe 150F and
these hot surfaces radiate their heat at a much longer wavelength (the peak
wavelength of the radiation is dependent on the temperature of the surface--
very hot = short wavelength and warm = longer wavelength). Long wavelength
radiation is not transmitted easily by glass so there is a net gain in heat.
Ditto for CO2.

The sun's surface is roughly 6000F so it radiates visible light (some IR and
UV, too) but a cool surface such as the human body radiates in the long
infrared (about 5 to 15 microns).

H2 & O2 are liberated by the number of Coulombs of energy you pass through
the electrolyte. Coulombs are amps X seconds.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ