[Land-speed] Sealing two piece wheels

Rick Byrnes Rick at RBMotorsports.com
Thu Dec 20 13:56:32 MST 2007

OK
We move on to crutches.  The go cart wheel with O ring sealing in a 45degree
groove with no squeeze other than tire internal air pressure can work with a
little help from Hylomar.  It does not harden and when spread in very small
amounts it works well.  I have used it on intake gaskets with boosted motors
at 100" Hg Abs  manifold pressure.  While not tire pressures, the M/T at
100PSI should help push the O ring into the groove.  I agree with you that
it is not perfect engineering but probably what I would try next.  The
surface finish at the O ring contact points is important and the Hylomar may
help that.

I'm glad we are having this discussion because I have M/T for 16" wheels and
have not yet decided what the wheels will look like.  I'll run the GY LSR
tire till speeds require better tires, then switch.
(Should I be so blessed).

Rick