[Land-speed] Deceleration

Glen Barrett speedtimer at beyondbb.com
Tue Dec 4 08:36:26 MST 2007

The drag racers have much more development time with their vehicles because
most are spec cars. This makes it easier to develop the chutes used. They
also have short shut down areas and need to stop a 300 mph car in the
distance provided.

Land speed vehicle are a different breed and not many alike in the design.
The course is a factor as is the speed, the chute design, the tow line
length. Only a hand full of chute manufactures are trusted and every year
new cars show up with a swap meet or surplus drag chute that is not suitable
for the car they are trying to stop.

Diest and Stroud have the most experience in LSR chutes and should be the
first place a racer looks for information.
I see many chute failures each season and several that are not suitable for
the vehicle they are trying to stop, usually the chute lifts the car off the
ground, or has a short tow line and the chute is in dirty air.etc.

Use common sense and talk to the people with the ability to work with your
application.

Glen