[Land-speed] Bail out/driver ed/ some thoughts

Adin, David DavidAdin at mercydurango.org
Mon Aug 27 10:42:36 MDT 2007

My second trip to the salt (running the "130 club") we spent about a 1/2
day in the "tech tent" - fascinating stuff.  Learned  tons (not near
enough) and witnessed the following:
A first- timer going through tech w/ a yet virgin car.  The Driver/owner
was quite prosperous.  (My doc always says I'm getting more and more
prosperous.) The car was a pretty serious A or B roadster (scary to me).

Tech goes along, car is pretty good (those tech guys are thorough -
thank god) then they suggest the driver get suited up/ now the
helmet/now we want to see the belts and all safety gear in place.

Then the "show" started.  To the driver:  OK, you are on fire - GET OUT!
Driver: what do you want me to do first?
Tech: you are on fire, its up to you.

I was surprised the guy didn't code (have a heart attack)  right on the
spot.  He was red, sweaty and panting when he got out.  First thing he
says is:  "Guess I need to practice some . . . "

I learned a good lesson at that fellow's expense.

Blindfold?  By the time I get suited, collared, helmeted, strapped in
and tethered I can't see a damn thing . . .  (but it's a great idea.)

Driver's Ed:  Once can't have too many skills.

And finally:  eligibilty criteria should NOT be based on age.  Ability,
knowledge, conditioning, hardware but not age.

My $.02 . . . .

David in Durango