[Land-speed] Driving skills

john robinson john at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 27 06:57:48 MDT 2007

Howdy,
         Speaking from personal experience, riding a motorcycle should be
easy especially after riding one for 20 years, but try taking an
experienced rider course for street or one for the race track and find out
just what you have been doing wrong all those years, and being humbled by
your lack of skills in the riding portion of the test ..... I agree with
several of the other people on this list, take as much training as you can
get for driving a car or a bike.  I've taken the experienced rider course
for street riding 3 times in the last 5 years,and the track time course
once down at the Blackhawk race track and each time I've learned something
new (no, I did not forget and relearn)  and learned not just from the
training course, but also from the riders who were taking the course having
a different perspective and experience than the teacher or the course
material.... everybody gets set in their ways, we all have a route we drive
daily and repetition causes us to slack off, and most of us have been
driving for 30+ years... the EAA suggests that a pilot other than the
builder fly a newly built experimental airplane for the first time, due to
the amateur builder having not practiced the skills needed to fly an
airplane during his build time. And the vehicles we drive on the Salt are
all experimental... and we should be trained in skills that we need for
driving. (I did not say required, only should) Escaping from a vehicle in
an allotted time should be on both the builders and drivers mind, and the
driver should have much needed practice getting out. An example of
practice, as a skydiver, we try to practice the jump maneuvers three times
correctly before we make a jump, muscle memory comes into play here, and if
you do it wrong once and practice correctly only once or even twice before
the jump, we find you will forget a maneuver, and blow the jump.

           John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
            Current World Land Speed Record Holder