[Land-speed] Driving skills

Jon Wennerberg jon at infodestruction.com
Sun Aug 26 10:46:56 MDT 2007

On Aug 25, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Freiburger, David wrote:

I'll disagree with you there. Both the street courses and the road-race
classes can be valuable. I've been to the San Bernadino County Sheriff's
school once, to Fast Time once, to Sprint Car school once, to Skip
Barber
once, and to Bondurant three time, plus I've been lucky enough to have
instruction at press events from Rusty Wallace, Mike Skinner, and Andy
Pilgrim. Obviously those are job perks for me, but the reason I list
all of
them is to point out that I improved my overall skills every single
time and
that each and every time I absolutely proved without a shadow of a
doubt that
I had gotten very rusty due to lack of seat time.
  DF

Okay, I'll chip in now, before reading all of the "driver skills"

I've attended five motorcycle high-performance driving schools (one
Reg Pridmore and four Keith Code) over the past ten years.  What
David says is correct -- I've improved my ability to ride each and
every time.  I've often told the story about when I encountered a
deer about to run in front of me as I rode the Gold Wing.  I reacted
with maneuvers that I had learned in the schools, missing the deer
and not crashing the bike.  When I stopped a few hundred yards down
the road (to change underpants, that's how close it had seemed), I
thought through the incident -- and in my thoughts I DID IT WRONG!
The school had given me the skills to do it right without having to
think.

It's not infrequent that someone -- often a young buck that's just
bought himself a faster-than-the-dickens motorcycle -- asks me to
suggest what he should spend his monry on first so his bike will be
faster.  I ALWAYS suggest a high-performance driving school.  The
kid'll complain that it sounds dull -- why not a fancy new exhaust
pipe, or slick tires, or this or that?  I explain that with what he'd
learn in the school he'd be able to ride circles around the others in
his group, tell him the above deer story -- and wonder if he'll take
my advice.

Plus -- an on-track driving school is a great way to get your ya-yahs
in a safe environment.  Hey -- a day spent riding around the Road
America course is a day that most folks will never experience.  It's
worth the bucks -- and will darn near certainly make you a better
rider/driver.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan