[Land-speed] Speedweek tips and thoughts...

Keith Turk kturk at ala.net
Mon Aug 20 10:41:52 MDT 2007

Tom, you bring up a good point...  rather then let this thing turn into a
mess... lets fix it.

Here's what I'd propose...  each of us oughta take a minute and sort out the
things we did right and wrong and post them....  by sharing our experiences
maybe someone else won't make the same mistake in the future and we'll all
benefit.

I for example didn't bring my trailer and thought I could load my pit set up
in the truck... which we did for the most part... but what we didn't bring was
enough tools... for example I didn't pack my jack and stands... and the one's
David brought were somewhat marginal....  We ended up borrowing a ton more
stuff then we should have... ( I always feel guilty when I borrow more then I
loan )

What we did spot on was establish in advance the goal of swapping the intake
on the salt... After David had done his dyno work on the Blower set up... he
took the time to pull it off and stick on a dominator manifold set up and tune
it on the dyno... so we had a great baseline for that combination to do our
Nitrous runs that last couple of days.  I'd sorted out the Manifold in the hot
rod shop to accept our Nitrous set up and had evaluated all the plumbing and
wiring requirements and had an established plan that actually worked fairly
well.

The one thing we missed was the Progressive nitrous set up.... seems it shut
off after 15 seconds and went into a reset mode...  once again... while
testing this in the pits we found the problem ( good for us )... what we
couldn't do was fix it... so once again we ran with an all or nothing
situation and David had to actuate the Nitrous multiple times before he could
get it totally hooked up and switched on...  ( imagine fanning the button
acting like a progressive controller while running deep into the 250's )

More to follow I'm sure as I remember the whole thing

Tell us what you did right and wrong...

Keith