[Land-speed] Soft Records

Tom Bryant saltracer at awwwsome.com
Mon Aug 20 10:02:52 MDT 2007

Hey let's cool it! Having run on open records and set a few since, I can
tell you that just because a class has an open record doesn't necessarily
result in an easy time of it. In the mid to late eighties we were running on
a open record of 205 mph and having quite rough a time qualifying. Since, we
have inched upward to a 244+ mph record and are now having a rough time
going that fast.

The Salt is a strange place...if anyone thinks that they have a handle on
the tune up for the salt, just wait a while and you will find that it doesn
t work anymore. Most of my problems have been self-inflicted, but I have
great respect for anyone who sets a record at Bonneville, regardless of the
former speed. Just be aware that records are made to be broken.

The key to success at any event is being prepared, I wasn't this year, or
the couple proceeding. I will be ready for the WOS.  Sometimes It takes an
event like our Speedweek to sharpen the senses.  It was expensive, but
educational!

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of faint_grain.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of imstp_pets_cat1_en.gif]