[Healeys] massive oil leak

rfbegani at gmail.com rfbegani at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 15:51:11 MDT 2022

Jim:

You may recall my problem of massive oil leak after rebuilding the engine
then driving 1,000 miles.  I installed a diaper pan under the bell housing,
a vacuum tubing to the intake manifold to suck up the oil while continuing
to drive the car another 1,000 miles. Finally, I pulled the
transmission/bellhousing and looked at the condition of the gasket and rear
bearing outside seal which showed no signs of leaking.   This time I used
the right stuff Permatex sealant all around the motor/trans plate especially
around the camshaft opening and applied a new flimsy gasket we get for this
job.  Then applied right stuff on the paper gasket all around every
potential opening including the camshaft opening and reinstalled the
transmission/bellhousing with being certain to torque all bolts in a
crisscross manner.  Finally, I used the UV light kit and added the UV
solution to the engine.  I have been running the engine on the lift and have
found a small amount of colored oil coming from the motor/trans plate. So, I
will add an addition to the diaper pan to catch that oil and begin drive the
car.  I can live with a small amount of oil.

By the way, I installed an Oil Catcher whereby the vacuum from the intake
manifold draws the oil from the diaper pan into the catcher.  Except, I do
not see any oil in the container.  Now that I am back in Florida where the
BJ8 resides in the summer, I will finish getting her back on the road and
see how much oil will be dripping at road speeds.

When did you pull your trans and or your engine which could have caused the
massive oil leak as I experienced?

Bob Begani