[Healeys] Electrics

Mike Sinclair phoenix722 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 16:56:58 MST 2022

Need some enlightenment.  Awhile back, the car (BJ8) was running fine,
but I noticed the little red light that says the battery isn't being
charged was on.  (I do keep the battery on a Battery Minder" when not in
use.)  Chased the system down, and discovered the generator was putting
out zero volts.  Adjusted the fan belt, no change.  On closer
inspection, the rotor was damaged (a bar was actually missing).  Had the
unit rebuilt, and it is working fine, but still had the little red light
wouldn't go out.  Checked all the connections, continuity, voltage
regulator, couldn't find any thing out of the ordinary.  Finally, upon
closer inspection of the regulator with a mirror, found the contacts on
one of the coils were welded together, and the leaf spring holding that
contact was completely severed.  According to the manual, this is the
"cutoff coil".  New regulator solved the problem.

Now the questions.

1. What could cause the rotor to be damaged?

2. What could cause the points to weld together?

3. Which likely failed first?  Did one cause the other?

4. I'm guessing the points stuck together first, and caused the leaf
spring to break, so first the points were always "closed", and then
always "open".

5. Would any of this cause damage to anything else, e.g., the battery?

Again, everything seems normal, now.  Battery holds charge well.

Mike