[Healeys] Dial gauge

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Wed Mar 30 12:57:57 MDT 2022

I shall be addressing the solenoid adjustment process on my BT7's overdrive
quite soon. Reading saved files from the gurus, it seems that one way of
getting it right is with a dial gauge. Looks fool proof in the video and
could be perfect for someone like me with little mechanical instinct/feel
who is better off following instructions.

I was quite reluctant to go down this route initially as I thought the
gauges would be wildly expensive. Especially so, if you consider how often
I'm likely to use one! However, prices aren't too bad and I think I'll get
one.

So....seems to me that the probe bits on the gauges I'm looking at are all
too short to get down to the ball bearing in the OD's operating valve.

Looking at the pictures on eBay and Google Images, it seems that most of the
probes are tipped with a knurled point which looks like it's designed to be
unscrewed. My hope is that tip screws off in order to fit an extension. I've
seen extensions on eBay, all with 2.5M thread.

Am I right? Does the tip come off to permit the addition of an extension??
(Plainly, not all gauges have this knurled tip and I'll be avoiding those
without!)

Simon