[Healeys] Coolant bypass port in the head - 6-cyl

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 05:02:21 MDT 2022

Okay - I checked the sleeve to bypass port overlap between the different
types of thermostats.

Eventhough the bellows thermostat sleeve operates from bottom up, and the
robert shaw and other reverse poppet thermostats the sleeve slides the
other way around from top down, it seems both types roughly measure up
correctly to the bypass port to cut it off when the engine is hot.

For future reference, the top of the bypass port is 9/32" from the
thermostat lip, and the bottom is 5/8", so the port itself is 11/32" in
size from top to bottom.

It does appear the robert shaw and other no name reverse poppet thermostat
... the sleeve when closed does leave the bypass open, but with about 30%
of the port covered with the sleeve.  I guess when the thermostat opens, it
will cover the whole thing.

Anyway, confirmed that all the different sleeved thermostats will work,
oddly enough.

Cheers,

Alan