[Healeys] Healeys without opinions

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 17:13:07 MDT 2022

"Have found the best for me was to advertise locally first."

Not a bad plan; you never know what can happen. After working on and
driving my BJ8 Dad decided he didn't dislike 'foreign' cars after all,
and he kept an eye on the local classifieds. He eventually spotted a '56
Healey FS in a nearby valley town. He went to 'have a look' the next
day, and bought the car. The seller and my dad hit it off and, without
haggling seller--his name was Jess--knocked $2K off asking when Dad told
him it was his son that was the real Healey fan. Jess, who was a wealthy
construction contractor had one of his crew flatbed the car to Dad's
house. Dad and Jess became good friends and I was looking forward to
meeting him at our 'Fire Engine First Start' party, but he was too ill
to attend and died a few months later.

Jess also had a Nash-Healey he wanted, IIRC, $30K for but Dad didn't
like the Nash 'headlights in the grill look.' I sometimes wish we'd
bought it and put it in the barn with a tarp on it as an investment.
Jess also had an Ercoupe airplane hanging from the rafters of his 'barn'
(I wouldn't mind owning that, too, but I don't know what I'd do with my
feet).