[Healeys] Fried OD Solenoid

josef-eckert at t-online.de josef-eckert at t-online.de
Fri Mar 25 12:21:21 MDT 2022

When the 22 Amps are flowing permanently because the contact in the
solenoid does not open to allow only the holding current to flow, which is
around 2 Amps, the overdrive line cable to the solenoid gets extremely hot
and melts!!! And can cause a massive cable burning. A friend was lucky to
realise this early enough to stop the car to catch the fire estinguisher.
I always put in a 10 Amps fuse in this line, which stands the 22 Amps for
the 2 to 3 seconds it needs to engage the solenoid, but blows when the
current doesn`t go back from 22 Amps to 2 Amps in short time.
Just a recommendation. I even have it in my concours cars, unvisible for
the judges!

Josef Eckert
GERMANY

-----Original-Nachricht-----