[Healeys] Oil grade for 100 Le Mans

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 14:44:44 MDT 2022

Through a stupid mistake on my part today I purchased eight quarts of 20w50
synthetic Amsoil rather than the 10w40 I normally use year-round.
Unfortunately I discovered this mistake this afternoon only after I
completed the oil/filter change.

I am concerned that this higher-viscosity oil might in some way damage my
engine.  It has been about 60-70K miles from the engine's having been
professionally rebuilt and while oil pressure has fallen somewhat over the
last several years the gauge still indicates about 40 psi at 2500-3K rpm's
and about 20 psi at fast idle with 10w40, in both cases with hot oil and at
normal engine operating temperature.  I took the car for a very short spin
after completing the change and I am quite sure I did not did not get the
oil up to full operating temperatures but in any case the OP did seem a few
psi higher than what I am used to seeing

At this point I have about $125.00 invested in the mistake:  seven quarts
and a new K&N filter.  If my fear is verified by your opinions I am
certainly willing to drain and refill--I certainly do not want to be
driving around if there is a real risk of causing damage.

I eagerly await the group wisdom.

Best--Michael Oritt