[Healeys] OD problems--BJ8

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Mar 7 08:43:29 MST 2022

Either MTL or straight 30 oil should work fine. Sounds like a hydraulics
issue. First, check your oil level. If OK, if you can, take your car to
the shop that rebuilt it; they should at least be willing to help you
diagnose the problem. If not possible, you'll need to check pump
pressure; you need a gauge and adapter to check it. If you don't have a
shop--or a club or helpful Healey owner nearby--that can test it you can
get a gauge: http://www.geocities.ws/jholekamp/

The pump shouldn't wear that fast; it's possible a piece of crud got
under the pump check valve or something went wrong in the accumulator.
Flushing your oil--check the screen under the big brass nut--might help,
but it's not likely. Did the problem happen suddenly, or over time/miles?