[Healeys] OD still not working!

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Sat Jun 18 11:49:37 MDT 2022

HI SIMON, HANK HERE, AND THAT'S ANOTHER TALE OF WOE. BOB MAKES SOME
GOOD POINTS AND MENTIONS THE ACCUMULATOR. YOU MENTIONED A "BAD BATCH"
OF ACCUMULATORS. DEFINITELY, IF THE ACCUMULATOR DOES NOT RELEASE IT
WILL CONTINUE TO "PUMP" (HOLD PRESSURE) HYDRAULIC OIL AS THE "PUMP" IS
THE LITTLE WHEEL IN CONTACT WITH THE MAINSHAFT CAM, CONSTANTLY GOING
UP AND DOWN creating pressure. At the engineered max about 400-500PSI
something has to release, or it continues to pump pressure beyond what
is needed to overcome the 8 springs resistance which push the clutch
into direct drive.
I'm a stickler for using original parts, if nothing is wrong with
them. (I'm using the steel piston rings, not O rings) Replacement
items always scare me (are they an exact match?). I think you
experienced that issue when you replaced the transmission clutch
plate.
I do drill out the tiny hole with a 1MM bit to make room for dirt
which could be larger than that tiny hole. It does not hurt the
operation but, yes it can drain a little faster (about 1/2 sec.). If
that whole passage is clean, proper size ball and spring and rod not
bent, it functions as a release valve when lowered (by lever action
from arm).
Then the other drain is as Bob describes, when the accumulator moves
away from the drilling in the bore. This drilling also depends on an
annular groove (passage in the mainshaft-be sure they are clear) to
carry oil. These must also be squeaky clean. That huge spring inside
the accumulator controls the release of massive hydraulic pressure. It
is important to use a test gauge of about 800PSI when testing the
system...just in case you are not releasing pressure.
The "trouble shooting guide" in the workshop manual only addresses
lack of pressure release to dirt, electrics or damaged parts. I'm
afraid its yet another trip back to OD Spares. While its out, look
carefully at the tail of your mainshaft and insure it has clear
passages. A piece of SS wire will check openings. Dirt is the main
culprit in ODs followed by wear, if electrics are ok.