[Healeys] Another O/D issue

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 21:21:47 MDT 2022

The switch may be pipe thread, but you set its depth with shims (which
are just fiber washers), part# 134 in this diagram:

https://mossmotors.com/external-gearbox-4-speed-side-shift

The lever on the shift rod (#94) bumps the switch; it only presses
against the switch, closing its contacts, in 3rd & 4th. Pushing the
lever to the right pushes the shift rod to the left into the switch. If
you have a 'shim' under the switch, removing it, or putting a thinner
one in, should solve the problem (the tip of the switch has limited
travel, you don't want to jam it into the switch). If not, you'll need a
new switch (contacts worn, maybe). Least likely, but not impossible, is
a worn shift rod (they're brass).