[Healeys] Engine lift

Bruce Steele healeybruce at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 27 10:13:11 MDT 2022

Having pulled and installed the engine and trans as a unit twice and the trans once, I’m of the opinion that installing the engine without the trans is probably easier as far as the engine itself goes.  The clearances between the top of the bellhousing and the firewall and the crank pulley and front cross member are small, requiring a lot of finesse and small adjustments to wiggle the unit in place.  Plus someone with a strong back and a belt under the tail of the trans/OD is needed to lift it up over the X brace.  However if done separately, you’d have to get the fore-aft vertical alignment right and then support the aft end of the engine while you align the input shaft to the pilot bearing and bolt the bellhousing to the engine.  That  was no piece of cake for me when I had the trans out with the engine in place.  On balance, I’d rather connect the engine and trans out of the car and install them as a unit.  But that’s just me.

Bruce Steele

Brea, CA

1960 BN7