[Healeys] 100 fasteners

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Fri Feb 11 14:26:42 MST 2022

Thanks to Curt for this accurate and informative article. I totally
agree that the early part numbers ie: 1B--- would designate British
fasteners, and the later three letter, three number designation
aligned the UNF hardware. That is our best clue to what was used back
then.
This early engine has stumped me on a number of occasions and I really
feel that for that first year anything goes to get the product to the
market...a real scramble. I have a notion that this engine was sitting
in stock as surplus A-90 leftovers. The block was factory painted dk.
blue. The head on this car was "Gold Seal" rebuilt. The threads I
discussed, are most definitely British Standard Cycle (CEI) 26 TPI..
Many of the studs are BSF on one end and BSC on the other. Luckily,
these parts are available from British Tool & Fasteners, including a
full line of BSC hardware. Unfortunately they were out of 3/8 BSC
helicoils, so I had to get some from, you guessed it... Amazon. Big $$
rather than Pence.
Yes, all this is another great unsolved mystery in Austin/BMC history.
But, what else would we have to discuss...covid? Regards, Hank