[Healeys] 100 fasteners

Curtis Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:22:21 MST 2022

Regarding the steel and strength ratings of British and other fasteners,
they were either *"Mild"* Steel (British grades unmarked or A, B, C or K
for nuts with "B" being the most common after unmarked) or *"High Tensile"*
steel (all other letter grades D-G [pre 1950] and R-Y [post 1950]).  The
confusion appears in calling "*High Tensile Steel*" - "High Speed Steel" as
Michael has pointed out.

See my attached article...

Also with regard to fastener listings in the various parts manuals and
other BMC publications, if a fastener is noted with a "part number", it is
typically a Whitworth type thread form. When the changeover to "Unified "
fasteners occurred in the mid 1950s, all Unified fasteners were noted with
a new designation, describing in code the size of the fastener.  I would
assume that all Unified fasteners fell under this new coding system... But
we know what happens when we assume.

BTW, this Unified fastener coding is published in a chart that most of you
should be familiar with by now.

For those unfamiliar, the "British Standards" define "Whitworth" as all
thread forms with a pitch angle of the threads measuring 55°, e.g., BSW,
BSF, BSPP, BSPT, BSB, etc... This is in contrast to Unified (UNF/UNC), SAE
and BSCy thread forms which have 60° pitch angle of the threads.   This is
why British Standard Cycle are NOT a Whitworth thread form despite the bolt
heads using BSW/BSF spanners, and what is erroneously published in
Wikipedia... But I digress.

That being said, I would assume that part numbers (11B122 and 11B 298) are
both Whitworth fasteners since they are listed as part numbers.  Again, we
all know what happens when we assume! Since these are specialty fasteners,
and not your run of the mill bolts, who knows how BMC designated them? One
may be BSF and the other UNF.  Measure twice or have a Helicoil kit on hand!

Cheers,

Curt