[Healeys] Counterfeit Numbers

Jean Caron vintage_roadster_restoration at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 16 11:21:27 MDT 2022

Rick,
Getting dies to put numbers on would be the relatively easy part. Grinding off old numbers would be an amateur way to do it and if investigated, the number grounded off would show up under certain light and/or acid to find the correct ones. The difficult part, one would have to “find” the BMIHT certificate from an original 100M that is not on the road already, I think some shady individuals already tried that and were caught doing it if my memory serves me right. Then you also have to get all the proper parts that are exclusive to the 100M, the engine parts, distributor, etc. And then one would have to apply for the Worldwide 100 Registry, another step that may be difficult to get if one is trying it with a “fake 100M”.
All of the above is not impossible but would likely be very time consuming, costly and fraught with uncertainty unless someone would get lucky and hit a correct number from the BMIHT.

Jean