[Healeys] [O/T] Beverly Hills Car Club

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Aug 8 13:28:56 MDT 2022

I don’t know about the other model registries, but the BJ8 Registry has always tried to document what could be known about the continuous ownership history of a car.  It was easier to do that in the days before “privacy” became such an obsession and existing sources for lists of cars and owners dried up.  I was able to obtain such lists from Healey clubs around the world 20 years ago, but most no longer even publish them.  Also obtained historical DMV lists from various sources in various states.  Cars sold through dealers lose a lot of that knowledge because dealers are reluctant to reveal from whom they bought and to whom they sold.

I can’t imagine that any Healey owner would object to being contacted by a former or later owner of their car for more info about their time with it, but unless it is documented someplace, how will they ever know about or find you?

I also encourage anyone considering buying a BJ8 to check with me before putting their money down.  There are a ton of cars out there now, including those restored by big-name, high dollar restorers, that no longer wear the same identity they had when they left the factory.  If that is important to a buyer, then they should know whatever is known about the car before putting their money down.  Like the guy who bought a BJ8 with a VIN plate that said one thing, and a number on the shock tower that said another.  He took it back to the restorer, who (without request or authorization)  ground the original number off the shock tower!

Caveat emptor!

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry