[Healeys] [O/T] Beverly Hills Car Club

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Aug 8 09:07:02 MDT 2022

"... BHCC did exactly what I feared they would do:  quit advertising the
VINs ..."

Doesn't speak well for the company. It also means buyers of used cars
would do well to get the VIN for a car before laying down the cash. I
don't know if LE reports the VIN of stolen cars to the DMV, but it seems
like an easy way to cut down on car theft. But, from what I hear,
'desirable' cars--Camrys, Priuses, etc.--are headed to a chop shop
before the owner even knows it's gone. Exotics are on a boat to Russia.

CA used to provide the ownership records of cars for a small fee ($5
IIRC). My dad always kicked himself in the butt for not springing $5 for
the provenance of his '65 Mustang, which was bought new by Alice
Faye--old time singer/movie star; sold to 'Mrs. Phil Harris' (he did
have the sales receipt)--before the DMV quit providing the service.
These days, you can get at least some of a car's history from CarFax or
similar.