[Healeys] Gas Tanks

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 11:15:59 MDT 2022

If it matters to anyone, Greensburg where Jake's place is is in western
PA, 30 or so miles east of Pittsburgh.  The place that I mentioned is in
the eastern part of the middle of the state, York County.  The last tank
I had done was the one for my MG TD, and that cost lest than $200, and
was 3 years ago.  A friend of mine has had many vintage Volvo tanks
done, but hasn't taken any for a while because the owner, Harry, raised
his prices, and he can get new reproduction tanks for less than getting
them repaired.

Harry cooks them out in a hot caustic or acidic solution going down to
bare metal, and then the coating he uses is a red color that stands up
to all gasoline, even with ethanol in it.

Either way, there is a big difference between what either of these
charge and $900 for a new tank that may or may not be exactly like the
original.