[Healeys] Battery cable

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 03:50:53 MDT 2022

Ray--

As I recall from my boating days battery cable is superior to welding cable
in two respects: it has heavier and more fuel and water-resistant jacketing
and the individual copper strands have larger cross-sections, making them
less likely to break due to flexion, etc. with marine-grade cable being
better than automotive because the jacketting is supposedly more
oil/solvent/water-proof.  However welding cable is superior as--gauge for
gauge--there is more copper in the cross-section since the strands are
smaller and thus more numerous.  Also it is more flexible and probably less
expensive.  In practice I don't think it matters though I always opt for
marine battery cable with staked on ring/eye terminals filled with solder
when possible.

In practice your decision may be influenced by the type of battery you have
and its terminals:  If it is a standard auto battery with top posts the
clampterminals may fit battery cable better than welding cable.  A number
of years ago I replaced the two 6 Volt batts with one 12 with
side terminals which accept machine thread, allowing me to use ring/eye
terminals which make for a more compact installation.

Sorry if this adds confusion....

Best--Michael Oritt