[Healeys] Caton Bumpers???

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Thu Apr 14 02:53:04 MDT 2022

Further to this, below,.assuming that it has a chassis number etc going back
to its days as a factory car, it won't need certification at all. Not as I
understand it anyhow. (I'm talking of the UK here.) For reasons which escape
me, the owners of cars over a certain age can go onto the Govt. website and
basically opt out of the annual MOT scheme. (Ministry of Transport test).
So...these things, and I use the word advisedly, wouldn't be tested at all.
Seems counter-intuitive to me..the older a car, the more it needs testing?
Apparently, we classic owners are deemed to be the types who so love their
old bangers that they are maintained as road worthy in every respect!

(Personally, I've always thought that this opting out is a bit weird. Our
cars are pretty simple and 90% of the items on the test list don't apply.
But, I always liked to see the car up on a ramp and have a poke and a pull
at everything underneath thus revealed. And also,,,,things like brakes or
steering...one could get used to a gradual drop in their efficiency and thus
ignore it. Good to see their performance in black and white on a meter?)

Simon

Hello

>From my reading each new (?) car starts with a donor vehicle which can be
assumed comes with a chassis number. All of which means that essentially it
won't be a new car, but a rebuilt 1950's vehicle.

Meaning that certification, except for roadworthiness will not be required.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn