[Healeys] OD queries

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Tue Apr 5 06:14:43 MDT 2022

I should be receiving a "Dial Gauge" or "Dial Indicator" through the post
today. Should..

I hope to use it to set the lift in my OD's operating valve.

See pic, attached.

Now..

1.	I always see reference to adjusting how much the ball lifts by
putting the gauge's probe(?) onto the ball itself. Fair enough in operating
terms but can one not adjust by how much the rod lifts? ie remove the spring
plunger and ball. The rod has a flat top surface after all...
2.	My previous solenoid was absolutely fried and I bought a
replacement. It came with a little rubber gaiter or boot which fits over the
plunger and goes into the little case where the solenoid's plunger is
attached to the lever. I'd never seen one of these before although I note
that it's shown in the Parts Book. What's the purpose of this thing? It
seems redundant to me. I seem to recall that not all cars with ODs had the
lever & plunger enclosed. Maybe it was for them.? To me, at least, it seems
to be superfluous, even slightly creating a certain stickiness in the
up/down transit. But, there it is, in the Parts Book. Should I fit it??
3.	I've seen reference to adjusting the lever's "drop". This is
presumably done with the little nut that sits under where the plunger is
grabbed by the lever. There doesn't look to be much spare up and down
latitude available for this adjustment and, furthermore, I note that the nut
is not shown in the Parts Book which only has a little rubber bung/stop.

Thanks,

Simon