[Healeys] 100 Battery Conversion

rct2bnc at aol.com rct2bnc at aol.com
Wed May 5 21:22:44 MDT 2021

Mike,
I have converted my 1954 BN1 to a single Odyssey pc925 battery. This is an very small battery less than 5" high. It is square in profile and fits nicely into one of the battery wells. The tops of the solid brass terminals are threaded for bolts/washers (metric) that come with the battery. To attach the Lucas lead helmet caps, I bored a larger hole in the and secured the cable with the bolt/washer combination. While this battery is small in size it cranks the BN1 faster than any other battery or combination of 6 volts I've ever used. My tester shows at fully charged over 600 CCA.
Recently, I began switching all my old cars to Odyssey batteries after getting one in an Elva Courier racer I purchased. It was mounted on its side with cable attached as mentioned above. These batteries have long storage times and have cranked the 100 after 6 months storage with no charging. The only caveat is you need an AGM charger.
Ben Cohen,
BN1, BN7 and BJ8...and other British