[Healeys] Rear brake steady posts

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Wed Mar 31 12:18:48 MDT 2021

My understanding of the "steady" posts are just that...to keep the
shoes even in operation. They are very small and not too strong so
that I doubt they could affect much. However, as the book procedure
describes-"you lock up the shoes so they contact the
drum"-perpendicular to backplate-then move the steady post in until it
"contacts the shoe side"..this should keep the shoe from tilting and
not contacting the drum flat. Looks good on paper.
I think that the shoes will naturally align and the posts are only a
safety measure. The early cars used lots of lube points-oil
everything. The felts have no rub quality, just a receptacle for
holding oil. The worst thing you could do is screw them way down and
cause scraping and drag. Midpoint would do no harm-even if they did
not touch the shoe. Most of the posts I have seen on backplates are
frozen in position anyway. Just my opinion Hank

Healeys"