[Healeys] Rear brake adjustment

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 20:48:29 MDT 2021

Here's a short video of the cylinder moving (complete with 80s
soundtrack and modern 'shaky cam'). Pic shows the bevel on the dust
cover that I think proves this is the correct order of installation.

Here's the sequence of installation that caused me the least frustration:

1) LIGHTLY grease all moving/sliding parts, including the adjuster cam
and spreaders and the shaft that the handbrake lever pivots on

2) Insert cylinder into its slot

3) Slide the spring plate, with hooks pointed toward the diff, into the
slot on the cylinder from above as manual shows

4) Insert the handbrake lever through its slot on the backplate from the
outside

5) Lift the cylinder a little with a screwdriver and slide the handbrake
pivot shaft into its notches on the cylinder (the spring plate allows this)

6) Start working the flat retaining plate with the notches into the slot
on the cylinder on top of the spring plate. I tapped it in; it would
help if someone held the handbrake lever out in its actuated state to
prevent the spring plate from retreating from the flat plate (it might
be possible to squeeze them together with a large set of channellocks).
Make sure the little hooks on the spring plate engage the notches on the
flat plate.

7) Work the rubber boot/dust cover over the handbrake lever and around
and under the retaining plates, with the beveled edge sliding under the
plates (see vid).

8) Wipe off any excess grease (it doesn't go well with brake material)

Credit where due: I'm often (always) disappointed with the quality of
aftermarket rubber products, but the dust covers I got from Moss are not
only molded and cut perfectly, but seem to be made of a tough rubber
that should actually hold up (it's almost a soft plastic).

Bob

ps. This is as much for my benefit, as I seem to have to do this job
every decade or so, and have to start from scratch procedure-wise every
time.