[Healeys] Rear brake adjustment

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Mon Mar 29 16:07:07 MDT 2021

BJ8 ph2.
I am Struggling to get consistent results for rear brake shoe adjustment.
All part of a project to get handbrake working properly - currently it is
almost vertical.
Background:
New shoes, slaves and springs etc with less than 4k mi. Almost no sign of
any wear yet.
Handbrake lever clevis pins removed.
Steady post adjusted so the peg just touches when brakes are adjusted tight.
Then the adjustment set so you can just hear/feel slight brake drag.
All OK so far.

Here is the problem:
When the handbrake lever is pushed with screwdriver or my hand it moves
with initial free play then clamps the shoes as it should.  However  when
released brakes do not fully retract, and shoes bind and not at  the same
setting that started off with.
Same story with using the hydraulics; seems to hang up, in not quite the
off position. Both wheels are the same.
Shoes can be "reset"  to original setting by rattling the adjuster back and
forth in  the freeplay zone.
All looks fine when drum is off and you can see the shoe operation.

My thoughts :
I observe that the new springs actually touch the inside of the shoes ?
Maybe some grease there ? Is this interference normal ?
Is it possible to incorrectly assemble the shoes/springs ?
See photo of RR.
I note that the slave is tight on the back plate. How tight is normal
floating ?
Maybe I assembled the slave cylinder clips incorrectly ?

All  suggestions appreciated
rg