[Healeys] Overheating

Reinhart Rosner reinhart.rosner at aon.at
Tue Mar 9 04:09:14 MST 2021

Hi Darryl,

Here in Vienna in Austria the highest temperatures in summer stay between 35 and 38 deg. C, but may go down to minus 15 deg C in winter. Therefore the temperature range is even higher. But I have to admit, that my BN1 stays in the garage from the day of the first ice or snow every year until sand and salt are gone in spring. But the lowest temperatures at which I have driven the Healey were around 0 deg. C.

Of course regarding overheating your higher temperatures are the bigger problem. Here the combination of summer temperatures and driving up into the mountains might be a similar challenge for every car.

Nevertheless I only had overheating issues due to problems with settings on the carbs or the distributor or in the time before I had to rebuild the motor (bearing at crankshaft and the rockers were the main reason). During the work on the engine I had a high efficiency net installed in the radiator and run our usual antifreeze. Everything else is standard.

Your solution with the metal plate sounds very interesting. Do you have pictures? What kind of metal did you use and how thin is it?

Regards

Reinhart

Reinhart Rosner

55 AH 100 BN 1