[Healeys] Overheating

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Sat Mar 6 18:25:24 MST 2021

 I concur that at low RPM the flow rate is significantly reduced - as it
should be with this type of pump - flow is proportional to speed.  On my
BJ8 I measure oil temp and top rad. hose temp plus some other temps. Single
gauge with switches
So, I added an electric water pump (EWP) that I manually switch on when
approaching traffic. I use the same switch to switch on an electric fan. My
experience is that the EWP is by far better than just an electric fan - you
need to move the water through the rad. Very noticeable to prevent heat
soak too when you shut down the engine and you can see the temp dropping.
The EWP goes in the bottom hose and is quite inconspicuous. Took about 3
hrs to install. In series with the mechanical pump and literature says
little resistance when off  eg when cruising and RPM higher and EWP not
required.
Can post photo if anyone is interested plus pump details.
rg