[Healeys] Fan belt tension

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 08:12:48 MDT 2021

I think yes, with considerable effort (the pump pulley can be rotated
without turning the engine).  Note there were two belt sizes--3/8" and
1/2" IIRC--used on the 6-cyl cars.

Fan belt tightness is pretty subjective, though I've seen specs like
'this much deflection of the belt with this much weight hanging on the
belt' (which might be doable on the bench). Too loose and you may
overheat, and your dynamo won't charge properly; too tight and you can
ruin bearings in short order. I usually go with about a half-inch
deflection between the pump and dynamo, with firm pressure from a thumb.